It is hard for me, personally to identify with the writer, but I see my mother in this story. My mother was adopted from Turkey, and was never taught anything about her culture. My grandmother, who was born and raised in England, and came to America later in life, raised her as an American. Well, she raised her as "American-like" as she could, having grown up English. When my mother went to school, she spoke with an English accent, just like my grandmother does to this day. So, her teachers put her into a speech therapy class to get rid of her accent, because it was "wrong."
I agree that cultural censorship is an issue, but I don't agree that the English speaking Americans should have to accomodate the Spanish speaking Chicanos. (P. 53 "...as long as I have to accomodate the English speakers rather than having them accomodate me, my tongue will be illegitimate.") In America, majority rules, and English speaking Americans are still the majority. I am of the opinion that if you don't like it, leave. There are plenty of realistic accomodations for people who's first language is Spanish (has anyone had to press "1" for English lately?) and I don't feel that there is anything wrong with the way that things are set up right now.
Is it possible that one day, a majority of Americans will speak Spanish primarily? I think it is. But, again, it comes back to the "majority" issue. The "business" language of the world is English. I think that standard English will always have a place. But I think that soon enough, Americans will all be speaking a bastardized form of English and Spanish as a first language - Spanglish, if you will. However, as an "Anglo" with a Hispanic daughter, I will raise my daughter to speak English first. My daughter will speak Spanish, but it will not be her cultural crutch. She will speak it to stay in touch with who she is, not to separate herself from the rest of society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"They took our jobs!" But, on a serious note, America was founded by immigrates. The language that was the majority was native american, but that didn't stop ol' great, great, great, great, great grand papay from settling here and forcing the natives west after they gave us food and taught us how to utilize the land. I'm not saying that I'm particularly FOR immigrates taking over our semi-beloved U.S. I'm simply saying, Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not going to happen. Look to history and you will see that it's very well on it's way.
I agree that standard English will always have an important place, but I do see the cultural and identity problems that can come into play when losing one's language. That's not to say that someone shouldn't learn and speak English while living in America though. I am really happy to hear that you will raise your daughter bilingually. I think that it really is important psychologically to stay in touch with our heritage, no matter where we come from.
Post a Comment