I do still know wives that behave that way and are expected to behave that way... and they are in my family. I understand that Brady is exaggerating to prove her point, but it does hit close to home when I have members of my own family telling me that I am "immature" for not adopting that kind of role. Of course those kinds of expectations are exceedingly sexist, but there are people that still expect their significant other, and it is usually a wife, to act in that manner and be happy about it of all things. I have been a wife and I did some of those things for my husband (cook, clean, make appointments), but he reciprocated by doing some of them for me. It was a partnership, as it should be.
I can appreciate the satire of Brady's piece and see what may be expected of a woman during that time, but in the here and now it really does sound even more ludicrous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment