Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Critical Spinoff of "Stereotyping of Arabs by the US Ensures Years of Turmoil"
Let me sum of what I have to say in a few short, simple words. If you don't like America, LEAVE. It won't miss you. Edward Said wrote a very biased, one-sided piece that stereotyped Americans as stereotyping bigots. Not all Americans hate Arabs. I, personally have plenty of friends who are Arab and/or Muslim. Edward Said focused on the people that are biased against Arabs and Muslims which slanted his piece in a thoroughly disgusting fashion. And, believe it or not, there were other reasons than just the oil issue for invading Iraq. Whether or not we were right in doing it, we did it out of a "big brother" complex. We felt that Saddam Hussein was a horrible man (which he was) and that if we didn't step in, nobody else would (which was true). Should we have stepped in? That is not for me to decide. I, along with my fellow troops simply followed orders. I was lucky enough to not go to Iraq. However, had I been told to, I would have. Edward Said didn't look at the Iraqis who thank the American troops for being over there and doing what they do. He was a biased person himself. Before he complains about Americans, perhaps he should look in the mirror.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is true that not all Americans hate Arabs, but there really are such pervasive stereotypes about them that it is hard to escape. I think that it is a huge problem. While it is true that if you don't like where you are you should leave, I think that it is important to point out things that are huge problems for both us and other countries. I think part of being an American is striving for change when something is really amiss. It's part of the beauty of being able to live here and to be an American in the first place. (I know that you feel that way about change too.)
Post a Comment