I did another personal response because nothing else fit!
I can identify with the author when she says that communication between men and women is similar to communication between two different cultures. Women and men are raised to different social expectations and their brains are simply programmed differently. I have had personal experience with the differences in the way men and women communicate, and those differences can cause many problems in relationships.
I was also impressed by the observation that was made about men talking more in public than women do. It is only one example of the social stigmas that still permeate today's society. Although women are now in the workforce and seen as (mostly) equals, there are still unspoken and unwritten rules that rule how (most) people act in public and at home.
Really, the only way to kick this social stigma is to point out the social geniuses who kick society's laws and actually make a difference. No matter your opinion on Hillary Clinton, she was the first serious possible woman President of America. She kicked the stigma of being the "first lady" and of being the woman to stand behind her husband while he pursues his career. Maybe one day she will be the first woman president, and the first spoise of a president to be president!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I really do think that the key is too look at it as a kind of cross-cultural communication at times, though I rarely have the problems that the author pointed out. I also think that you're right about pointing out people that kick the social stigmas!
Post a Comment