Sunday, October 12, 2008
How I felt after reading "how to tame a wild tongue"
Normally, I'm not a huge fan of non-fictional readings and this definitely added a reason why. The story opened up with a girl in a dentist's office that wouldn't quit talking while he was performing his duties. How the author worded the event and the doctor's reaction, I thought the entire story was going in that direction. Unfortunatly, such was not the case. The story took a downward turn in the entertainment area, but skyrocketed in the sociology area. Next thing I know, I've learned several different types of spanish and different phrases from each. I feel I should add reading this artical to my resume, just for it's profound ability to confuse the mess out of the reader. The author really had a tough time concentrating on sticking to a single subject. One moment she's discussing how talking in spanish in school got her punished, next she's explaining the difference in Spanglish and northern spanish. As far as I knew, tex-mex was a snack food, but she definitly altered my perception on a certain crunchy, salty, snack mix.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree that this reading was probably the worst we have had so far. Either way, I don't appreciate ANY minority coming into ANYONE'S homeland and expecting them to learn THEIR language and accomodate THEM.
I felt that I learned a lot about Spanish versus cultural identity in this passage that I had no clue about. It really was a difficult read though, for sure.
Post a Comment