Vocabulary Assessment
1. bund- an embackment or an embacked quay, and comes from the Urdu word band, meaning and embankment, levee or dam. "Bund" is pronounced to rhyme with "fund." The term was brought to India by either the Mughals or possibly by the Baghdadi Jews in the early 16th century.
2. loom- a machine or device for weaving thread or yarn into textiles. Looms can range from very small hand-held frames, to large free-standing hand looms, to huge automatic mechanical devices. A loom can also refer to an electrical cable assembly or harness such as a wiring loom.
3. crooked- 1.not straight; bending; curved: a crooked path. -askew; awry: The picture onthe wall seems to be crooked. -deformed: a man with a crooked back. -not straightforward; dishonest. -bent and often raised or moved to one side, as a finger or neck. (of a coin)polygonal: a crooked sixpence.
4. subtle- so slight as to be difficult to detect or describe; elusive. -Characterized by skill or ingenuity; clever.
5. depilatory- a cosmetic preparation used to remove the hair from the skin on the human body.
6. inexorable- capable of being moved by entreaty; pitiful; tender.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I don't think that I have ever heard the word "bund" before. Very interesting.
My stepmother used to have a loom. It looked immensely complicated.
I do believe I covered Inexorable, and it was the opposite of what you said it was... There is something wrong here.
I'm with Natalie on that one. Bund? What? Even the definition needs further defining.
Post a Comment