In this short excerpt Of Bell Hooks "talking Back" She painted a clear picture of what NOT to do as a child in the presents of their elders. Hooks expressed the fact that she would sit in a setting where the adults were talking and how it burned her up on the inside to have to just sit and listen " to be seen and not heard". She would often find herself in pain because she just couldn't keep her mouth shut or thoughts to herself, I applaud her for that because she didn't let punishment stop her from being determined to speak her mind. Despite Hooks being in what she felt like was an unfair position she discovered the beauty of adult conversation and being able to voice ones opinion on any subject at any time and that made her feel "empowered". Hooks explained that" if it weren't for the defiants she had toward her parents and other adults she would not have emerged the independent thinker and writer" she is to date.
Knowing the history of my parents and granddparents Hooks reafirmed everything they ever told me and why I was not only told but have respect for the term, "children are only to be seen and not heard". "Talking Back leads to pain and punishments one will never forget".
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree with you view - my grandparents used to same things similar to that. Luckily, my parents always stuck up for me, and let me talk as much as I wanted.
I totally agree as well! There are children in my family that are still raised that way. The thing is, as they get older they rebel and I totally applaud it! I love when that kind of oppression is overcome.
I find it very interesting that you can see from her point of view so easily because you were raised similarly. Do you feel the same as she does/did?
Post a Comment