"You must not tell anyone," my mother said, "what I am about to tell you. In China your father had a sister who killed herself. She jumped into the family well. We say that your father has all brothers because it is as if she had never been born."
The story starts out screaming silence and restriction. Kingston's family did not find that the "aunt's" death was enough punishment for her, so they erased her memory permanently. According to Chinese tradition, it is worse to be forgotten than to simply be dead. This story is full of themes, motifs and symbols.
One major theme of this work is the role of Chinese women in their society. Ironically, the male influence is conspicuously absent throughout the story, except as the imagined rapist responsible for the unnamed aunt's shame and subsequent death.
A motif that I found particularly interesting was the ghost motif. According to Kingston, ghosts are contradictory - good and bad, family and foe. Ghosts, although a motif, are ever-changing throughout the story. Warriors, on the other hand, stood for struggle. The irony in the first sentence of this story is that Kingston was told that she must never tell anyone, yet in writing it, she has told everyone. Kingston fought back against the silence that was restricting her, just as the de-feminizing of the women after marriage by cutting their hair restricted them, just as binding the feet of young female children restricted them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You know, I kind of got a hint at the silence aspect of this story. I mean, practically being threatened into not saying anything of your long lost aunt's death didn't give it away, but I was sensing it.
I also found the ghost motif interesting. I actually have some Chinese spirit money that is burnt to help ghosts in the afterlife pay for things. Ghosts from our perspective tend to be very different.
Well as far as I'm concerned Kingston did well not speaking it. I would have written myself if I were her too, because something like what her family went through needed to be told. Sad but historic!
Yeah. Chinese ghosts are very different from how we view them. They seem like similar beings in another plane of existence that depends on our plane for survival. Very nice subject.
Post a Comment