Thursday, September 4, 2008
I enjoyed this passage by R. Rodriguez. His experiences made him stronger mentally and physically. Just like him I sometimes Don't listen to my parents suggestions and it leads to an unnecessary struggle. In that struggle an "I told you so" enters into the equation; nevertheless a great lesson is the end result. I found that Rodriguez had self-esteem issues. If he hadn't taken on the job at the construction sight he wouldn't have discovered and worked on the problems within. I relate to him, not in the work he did,but in the self-esteem issues he had. If it weren't for my parents teaching me to be proud of who I am, every time someone speaks about how thin I am would devastate me. Rodriguez did a wonderful job of relating to the issues of the youth today and that includes me as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can appreciate you relating to R. Rodriguez's self esteem issues and his personal struggle, but I really enjoy politics, so that is what I focused on from the story. Politics is not all that I got out of the story, but it is what I focused on.
I'm also really familiar with “I told you so” and also unnecessary struggle born of being extremely hard headed and independent. I also have always learned important lessons this way, and often it has done important things for my own self esteem. The fact that the workers were illegal was important to Rodriguez's story, and I can also see how it could create critical controversy and friction, though I myself am not inspired that way from this passage.
I think, in some small way, everyone can relate to how he feels. I agree with your point about "I told you so" in that he would never know what "real work" is, as his father suggested.
Post a Comment