Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Critical Spinoff of "Workers"

I already know that my response to this story is going to generate friction. Fortunately, we are all mature adults that are able to agree to disagree! In my opinion, Richard Rodriguez is approving of illegal immigration to the United States. Many Mexican immigrants came to America illegally, so they don't have the right to ask for the same wages that tax paying Americans receive. Unfortunately, many illegal immigrants continue to work for the low wages; consequently, American employers tend to employ illegal immigrants. Employers have realized that they can hire three illegal immigrants for the price of one legal American citizen. When 4.6% of legal American citizens are unemployed, there is only one way to really solve the problem. The government should be tougher on employers who choose to employ illegal immigrants, and tougher on people who come to America illegally. Even if an illegal immigrant has a child in the United States, they should not be allowed to stay in the United States. The child should be given the choice at the age of eighteen whether or not to become a citizen of the United States, but until then should have to stay with his parents - wherever they are legal citizens!

4 comments:

.:Brook:. said...

*4.6% (2007 estimate) unemployment according to CIA World Factbook.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/us.html

.:Adrienne:. said...

Brooke although I can see where you are coming from as far as illegal aliens. There is more to what Rodriguez's story. I believe his main point was about what matters in life and the thing about the aliens was a metaphor for the way he looked at himslf. It wasnt to be taken so seriously.

Nataloo said...

I also agree to a point, but my experience has mostly been with immigrant workes, not illegal workers, who chose to work for absolute minimum wages. My father, as a carpenter, has worked with illegal workers himself, and told their stories to me. These workers would break their back's doing the "dirty work" that most others would chose not to do, and for pennies. I see how it negatively affects the employment rate of citizens, but I can also see the psychological affect that working with them could have on someone like Richard Rodriguez or anyone else that identifies with them.

Tyler said...

I really didn't think about illegal immigrants throughout the entire story. The main theme I picked up was Rodriguez's feeling about how different his station in life was from theirs; his "alienation from aliens", as it were.