In this excerpt from “Talking Back”, hooks examines oppression of women both in terms of speech and thought stemming from a very young age. She explores this on a personal level, recounting events beginning in childhood and on through adult years. The psychological effects of being stifled were so strong that they even affected her deeply after becoming an established writer.
The title of the piece “Talking Back” works well as she speaks of what she overcame both internally and externally as a young black woman to make herself heard. The phrase “talking back” she explains, “meant speaking as an equal to an authority figure.” The connotations are also to reply belligerently or insolently. Hooks uses this term and transforms it into a term that breaks the accepted norm. It is being heard when one is expected to have no voice, or to conform. She also uses the term “right speech”, which is what is expected of you as a “good woman”. “Right speech” is dictated by the constraints of society and can also be a tool of oppression or suppression, which hooks also explores in this excerpt.
Gender and racial issues are still very relevant today, so the ideas in this piece are important to consider. Hooks brought these issues into the spotlight on a very personal level, making it easier to relate to and easier to understand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Bravo Nat! I always enjoy reading your entries! Well written and well thought out.
I agree with everything said Nat. I just as a A.A. disagree about the opression part because i was also taught "be seen not heard" and it didn't have an bad affect or effect on me at all as you can see. lol
Thanks a lot! Haha, well as far as negative effects, I guess it really does depend on the person.
Very well done and informative, Natalie. I felt as if I read the story again, only a lot faster.
Post a Comment