Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Introduction
Although I don't have any readings or pertinent English topics to blog about today, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Brook, but what many people don't realize is that my maiden name is "Shields." For anyone who watches Lipstick Jungle they know that Brooke Shields is a famous actress. Although my maiden name was almost identical to the actress', my "Brooke" is spelled without the "e." Spelling my name differently than most people named "Brooke" do reflects my personality in a way. I am eccentric, and I embrace that. I don't do things because that is what most people are doing, and I never really have. My talents are spread across the spectrum. In saying that, I mean that I have many talents, most of which are unrelated to each other. I am looking forward to this semester of English 111, mostly because I sense that this class is going to be the first English class that I have ever taken that actually challenges me to be me. For twelve years, my teachers squeezed what was "me" out of my writing. Now, even though I am told to be myself and to be creative, it is hard to unlearn all of the cookie cutter style of writing that I was taught. In short, I like a challenge and I think I have one with this class!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well said! I also feel the same about this English class. It really is a great feeling to think that perhaps now some of those chains can be shook off, leaving us unfettered. I like the name of the blog as well as the quote. It reminds me of one of Oscar Wilde's that read, "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
As I am having bizarre computer problems, I will have to come post again with an adequate introduction, but I at least wanted to leave a few words after my invite. I think that we can all look forward to challenging each other in new ways, along with the class assignments themselves doing so. I'm very excited!
(Sorry about deleting that first comment. This is Natalie S. I saw that it posted under the name "Squidlet" and I didn't want to confuse anyone! I was playing around with this website prior to this. As long as it ends up getting the okay, I'll just be "Squidlet".)
Post a Comment